Over the past 8 months I have interacted with a number of different
people all in various kinds of avatars. Some avatars looked very human
like, some had horns or wings, a number of them had tails and cat ears.
Some appeared much more like a demon, some an alien life-form, and some
as animals such as panthers, horses, otters, and ferrets.
I have visited a vast number of different kinds of sims,
ranging from a simple education area intended for the younger players,
to some rather realistic and natural ones with beaches, canyons. Some
represented lands of faeries while others were exclusively underwater or
done in an out of this world style set in space or ones that depicted
an alien planet.
I visited ones with G ratings, M
ratings, as well as A ratings. I visited dance clubs each of which has
been themed differently. I have attended live performances and other
very entertaining events. I have gone to meetings and discussion groups
and taken classes. I have visited dungeons and castles, many of which
had a BDSM theme to them of course. I have visited RLV play areas where the interaction with other avatars is perhaps a bit more involved than on some sims.
Through all of this I have seen some sims
of amazing quality and beauty, some of very poor quality, and a lot
that lay in between. One thing I can say is that all the various sims have in common is they are nothing more than a bunch of pixels running on server executing code from Linden Labs. What brings them to life is your own mind and imagination.
For myself I am not really into much of the RP, as it is often depicted in many of the sims, but rather I came to SL
to help expand my social circles and bring me together with people that
because of geographies our paths would have most likely never
crossed. My wife and I live in a smaller community that lacks variety
in its social avenues that fit ourselves so SL has proven to be great to help bring us to other venues and people.
We
have met some very good friends, some of which we continue to interact
with while others that seem to have drifted further away for various
reasons. We have seen some meet new people and forge new
friendships and even relationships. We have seen some that were once
friends that had gone their own separate ways re-unite and rekindle
those friendships and relationships. And finally there are yet others
that we see in groups and at other venues that we would like to be
friends with, so when the timing and circumstance works out then perhaps
that too will happen.
One thing is common throughout
all of this however, the actual humans on the keyboard side of the
avatars. On the screen you may see a collection of pixels that most
likely look nothing like the "real" person. Some of these people
pretend to be something different from their true selves while others
such as myself are very much the same here in SL as in RL.
Here however is where I believe many of the problems arise. Yes, I did say problems. Some refer to it as drama.
For most of us it seems that no matter why we come to SL, the RL
issues seem to invade this virtual world. Motives, biases, all of our
flaws and even prejudices follow us in here. Depending on the
individual person SL can make these more or less prevalent but they are always there lurking beneath the surface.
One of the things that SL
has, or appears to have, is a certain degree of anonymity that gives us
all what is most likely a false sense of security. This can be both a
good and bad thing, however for many it seems to remove much of the
accountability that we are expected to have as members of society. Here
lies much of the problem - SL is indeed infested with the human condition.
Friends
interfere with other friends, people deceive one another, some even
set out to intentionally be a nuisance or to cause trouble. The lack of
body language, frequent typographic errors, language barriers all
combine to make it even easier to interpret any given message
incorrectly which then may result in an incorrect response, often an
emotional one.
As a member of society with my own battle wounds and scars I for one had hoped that SL would perhaps be a more "improved" version of what we should all have to enjoy. I came to SL to escape the RL
issues and drama, to have fun and explore new things. Unfortunately
Utopia does not exist, or at least I have not yet found the SLULR for
it.
I have however discovered that SL provides a
rather unique environment that supports education and discussion groups
that would perhaps not be possible otherwise. It is also a place of great wonder if you allow it to be.
I can only say that SL
is what it is, it is where we come and meet, it is in the end what we
all make it. I would only ask that we all remember that yes we are all
different, but we all hurt in the same ways. Be supportive and not
destructive, help those that need help, but know when to back off and
allow things to take their own course without interference.
In conclusion I can only say the following ...
"Have fun and don't hurt anyone ... unless they are bound and ask nicely for it ."
No comments:
Post a Comment